Southern Tier Day #1 St. Augustine, FL to Hawthorne, FL

Southern Tier Day #1
March 29, 2021
St. Augustine, FL to  Hawthorne, FL - 72 Miles
Start 8:51 AM Finish 8:43 PM
Ride Time: 7:21:14
Ascent: 398 feet
Descent: 244 feet
Tour Total 72 Miles

I slept well in St. Augustine. I stayed at the Days Inn on Ponce de Leon Avenue, right across the street from the Fountain of Youth.

I woke up at 7am and was at the rental car place shortly after 7:30. It was in the mid-60's and overcast as I cycled back to the hotel. The sun was out by the time we were set up and ready to roll. It was such a relief to be free of the rental car and hotel.

I was wearing my short sleeve jersey and cycling shorts. I almost wore my sweater but changed my mind at the last moment. The route began just south of the fort at a historic block where stood the Cathedral Basilica of St Augustine, Flagler College, and the Lightner Museum. The architecture was extremely ornate and I felt like I was in Spain. I began the tour on Southern Tier map section #8, map panel #109 and was in St. Johns County.

As I was cycling out of the historic center I noticed the first Biden Harris sign I'd seen since New York. It was followed by a confederate flag and then a Fuck Biden sign. It was mostly flat and I was making good time. The weather remained overcast. I missed my first turn at Vermont Heights. When I turned around to correct myself I realized that I had been enjoying a tail wind. I passed two more confederate flags.

The awesome Palatka St Augustine State Trail was railroad grade and asphalt. Away from motorized traffic I unclipped Blanka from her leash. I spotted a roadkill armadillo and encouraged Blanka to give it a sniff. After a good smell she marked it. I had forgotten to walk her this morning at the hotel and she had a full bladder. That armadillo carcass was like an olfactory bulletin board and Blanka plastered it.

I was starving so we pulled off the trail in Hastings where I located a Subway store. I purchased a tunafish footlong and shared part of it with Blanka. There was a weird dude hanging out in front, and he kept his distance because of her. Hastings is the  Florida potato capital and home of the famous Blue Bull Chip.

We entered Putnam County and I flipped to map panel #108. As we entered East Palatka the route joined State Highway 100 and we crossed the large Memorial Bridge over the St. Johns River. I had to pedal up the steep incline and Blanka got a free ride. The railing support poles weren't tightly fastened and pleasantly hummed from the wind vibration. An enterprising artist could create music by using different thickness pipe and other types of metals.

I saw nothing worth stopping for in Palatka, population 10,558. Soon we found ourselves on the Palatka - Lake Butler State Trail which mostly paralleled State Highway 100. We stopped at a picnic table to take a rest and drink some water. Blanka rolled in the grass while I checked my email. I had felt so guilty about Blanka having to stay in her wagon for the duration of the two-day drive. The wagon has netting that, when fully zipped up, prevents her fur from being detected by the car rental company's No Pet policy. She wasn't feeling well, perhaps from the Passover Seder bonefest. I put on some Duane Train and enjoyed the afternoon ride.

I like my new sunglass strapped rear view mirror, and the new orange triangle flag add-on for the wagon appears to be doing it's job. We rode by scrub palmettos, pine trees, oak trees covered with Spanish moss and vines, and plenty of dark muddy swamps. The trails were well maintained and we passed two separate mowing crews.

I encountered my first coast-to-coast touring cyclist, Tony who was riding the Southern Tier from San Diego to St Augustine. He had been on the road for 45 days and today was his last. His companion, Damon's, bike was stolen last night in Gainesville and Tony was pissed. He asked about Blanka and told me that the remains of his two dogs were packed inside his handlebars. Tony promised me that our ride would be flat as far as Biloxi. His entertaining blog can be viewed at https://hopingforatailwind.wordpress.com/

I switched to map section # 107 and entered the town of Florahome. We stopped at Circle K for lemonade, a banana, and cashews. Blanka didn’t eat the cat food that I got for her. Her stomach was messed up, and she nibbled on some long grass stems. 

My goal for the day had been Putnam Hill, but I realized that we would be able to go further. In Melrose we stopped at Circle K for lemonade, cashews, and a banana. We crossed into Alachua county. 

County Road 219 was a pleasant change from State Highway 26. There was little traffic and brand new pavement. That said, there was no shoulder. A woman pulled up besides me and shouted for me to get off the road. I yelled back, “Where am I supposed to go?” She wasn’t being a jerk though. She was concerned about my 'little baby'. She turned on her hazard lights and proceeded just ahead of me as my personal pilot car. Having her ahead of me made me self-conscious, and I think it made the traffic situation more dangerous. Plus I was now inhaling her tailpipe fumes. I was so relieved when she went right on Sate Highway 200 while I turned left.

In Hawthorn we went to Diane's Old Time Barbecue. Blanka had to sit outside while I enjoyed a pulled pork sandwich with french fries and root beer. I bought Blanka a cheeseburger and got myself a six pack of Goose Island IPA. We went to the town park where she chased a cat while I edited this report.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Tier Day #12 Dauphin Island, AL to Ocean City, MS

Southern Tier Day #7 Marianna, FL to DeFuniak Springs, FL