Southern Tier Day #4 Ichetucknee State Park, FL to Lee, FL

Southern Tier Day #4
April 1, 2021
Ichetucknee State Park, FL to Lee, FL - 71 Miles
Start 8:01 AM Finish 7:18 PM
Ride Time 8:34
Ascent 512 Feet
Descent 598 Feet
Tour Total 286 Miles

A squall hit our camp last night while Blanka and I were sitting at the picnic table. Everything was already secured and we quickly jumped into the tent. Aside from the vomit episode I slept well. Blanka started whining in the middle of the night and I should have been more attentive. She missed the tarp that I put inside the tent and barfed a large pile on the tent floor. I scooped it up with my bare hands and threw it out onto the grass. I went and got napkins for the final wipe. After I was back in the tent I realized that I’d left a pannier open, so I had to go back out to close it. I had weird dreams. I awoke with the birds squawking and began folding up the tent. 

Blanka didn’t eat this morning. She’s definitely not been feeling very well. Her nose has been warm and dry since the trip began. My rear tire had low pressure and had to be pumped back up. It must have a slow leak. Blanka reluctantly climbed back into the wagon. We exited the campground and turned right onto 260th St. just like yesterday. It was clear out, birds were squawking, and there was little traffic. We were in Suwanne County on map section 104. It was cool and windy. If I could catch a tailwind I’d be in good shape. If it was against me I’d be in trouble. Large clumps of Spanish moss were all over the road because of the wind.

We passed the spot where we had the flat yesterday and were now forging new territory. The wind was from the north, the direction I was headed. It was going to be a rough morning. We passed a lineup of tattered flags; American, Trump,  confederate. It seemed like a summary of the last four years. The headwind was brutal and was compounded by pulling Blanka. It was 55 degrees and chilly so we pulled over for me to don a sweater, leg warmers, and a rain jacket.

County Road 137 had no shoulder and intermittent traffic. There were loads of Trump flags and another confederate flag. By 10 o’clock I had only pedaled 14 miles. The wind was taking it’s toll. I saw a sign in somebody’s front yard with a body target and the text, ‘Nothing inside dying worth dying for’. Does this person not socialize with their neighbors? Are there bandits here ravaging the countryside? What’s the matter with these people?

We stopped at the Wellborn Country Charm for a breakfast bowl with scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits, and gravy. Blanka had a burger patty with cheese. I called Deerwood Inn and Campground in Lee which was 47 miles away. The sun had come out during breakfast so, before we left, I stowed my rain jacket and put on my UV leg covers and helmet brim. We crossed over I-10 and continued north into the wind until State Highway 136 west. From here I would have a cross wind and an easier time of it. I was listening to a WFMU Small Change broadcast that I had put on my iPod. It was much easier pedaling west.

I missed the turn for 85th Rd. and continued to US 129, which I took north to get back on route. At the turn off for County Road 132 I spotted the Mahi Mahi Discount Stop, where we paused for Gatorade and peanuts, which I shared with Blanka. Back out on the road I passed the Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park. My helmet brim was acting like a sail in the crosswind 

The mailboxes here were all turned backwards. The backs face the Road. Mail carriers drive off the road into the adjoining grass and service the mailboxes from the driver’s side. This method seems a lot safer.

I heard a loud pop and knew I had a blow out. The brand new left side wagon wheel tire had completely worn through, and thank goodness I had purchased two spares. It was a quick fix, swapping out the tire and inner tube. There was a big hole in the inner tube. I was down to one spare 16” tire, and no spare 16” inner tubes. The new tire had made it 48 miles. I had another hundred miles to Tallahassee. The right wagon tire was still good. Blanka enjoyed the flat-fix break.

We rode through a dust storm and everything got covered with a brown film. The strong wind was blowing the particulates from arid fields north of the highway. We came to Suwanee River State Park and got on US Highway 90, which had a designated bike lane on the shoulder. The Florida highway shoulders have been good.

We stopped at the Jay Veer Market for a Gatorade and cultural experience. The line inside for the cashier was long, and I was entertained by the accents and conversations. One of the guy’s front teeth were completely gold. I had finished my Gatorade by the time I reached the clerk. I shared my cashews with Blanka.

The was an agricultural inspection station before we crossed the Suwanee River into Madison County. My UV leg protectors kept slipping down my thighs and the left wagon wheels kept riding into the rumble strip. I called University Cycles in Tallahassee, who would be open tomorrow until 6PM. They have Schwable Marathon 16 x 1.5 tires in stock. I double checked Burley Trail Wagon specs and the maximum weight capacity is 75 pounds. Blanka weighs 68 pounds. I have no idea what is going on, and it’s putting me on edge.

We went to Smackin’ Lips💋 Diner where I ordered a BBQ sandwich with fries and a pink lemonade. Blanka had a hamburger patty with cheese. I picked up a six pack of Goose Island IPA and we rode over to the campground. I set up my tent next to an outlet and ran my extension cord in for some device charging. I took a warm shower and shaved. It was cold out, and was supposed to get down to 39 degrees tonight. I sat at a picnic table wearing all my clothes to edit this report. The campground wifi wasn’t working and I couldn’t get service. I’m way behind uploading photos. Blanka took an interest in the campground cat. Blanka circled around and made her mark. I just hope that the cat doesn’t reciprocate on our gear. The cable for my charger is on the fritz. In the past I’ve traveled with a back-up cable, which I now realize is a good idea. The palm trees at the campground have tropical colored lights coming up from the bases. Even with all the campground lights, the stars tonight were amazing.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Tier Day #12 Dauphin Island, AL to Ocean City, MS

Southern Tier Day #7 Marianna, FL to DeFuniak Springs, FL

Southern Tier Day #1 St. Augustine, FL to Hawthorne, FL